Create an online collaborative environment to produce free and open textbooks that are aligned to curriculum guidelines and can be customized for individualized needs.
CK-12 is recruiting stellar, summer interns to work on one or more Science or Math projects (see below for project descriptions). In your cover letter, please express your expertise and interest in one of the projects and associated subject area(s). This opportunity is a paid internship, unless student is working to fulfill community service requirements.
- All applicants: passion, commitment, strong work ethic, research skills, proactive, precise attention to detail, ability to work with minimal supervision based on a provided project description.
- Basic software experience: Wiki, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Google docs.
- Advanced software experience: Adobe Flash to create animations; Proficiency creating high-resolution figures using Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, or similar art program.
- Unique learning experience at an organization committed to 21st Century education; resume builder; see your name credited in our digital FlexBooks; get community service hours; exciting, innovative, and inviting team environment; snacks available!
- Students must commit to a minimum of 6 – 8 weeks, working either mornings or afternoons on Monday through Friday.
|How to Apply:||Deadline to apply: May 31st, 2011|
Please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Summer Intern Program” in the subject line.Please also submit one teacher recommendation letter to either firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Joy Sheng, CK-12 Foundation, 3430 W. Bayshore Road, Suite 101, Palo Alto, CA 94303.
Group project: Work with other student interns to design your own website that attracts students to www.ck12.org. What are students looking for? How would you integrate social networking? What are some of your favorite sites and why? This project is self-managed by the group with weekly reviews to monitor progress. A final presentation to the CK-12 team at the end of the summer is required.
*Previous experience or knowledge of web design, html, and other programming skills are a plus.
STUDENT STUDY GUIDES
Using the CK-12 FlexBook System, create study guides for each chapter of the following CK-12 FlexBooks:
Basic Algebra, Algebra I, Basic Geometry, Biology, or Earth Science (MS or HS)
Study guides could include notes, supportive videos, self-created diagrams/charts, and helpful hints and tips for other students.
Create multimedia objects, such as animations, for selected math and science concepts. Adobe Flash, HTML5, or AJAX experience a plus!
STANDARDS CORRELATION REPORTING
Update and transfer existing reports to match new “flexed” versions.
Assist content team with consolidating lesson level metadata.